For our new website, visit www.CyclesForChange.org
Last year at this time, the SPOKES Bike Walk Connect program in Minneapolis was deciding on its future. As many of you know, in January 2015 SPOKES merged with our long-time mentor and partner organization from St. Paul—Cycles for Change. It has been almost a year now and the merger has gone great. Some highlights:
- With the Spokes merger, Cycles for Change is teaching a lot more adults and teens how to ride a bike. Support for the Learn-to-Ride 2015 program has come from major new funding from Health Partners, annual membership scholarships from Nice Ride, Hennepin County for classes in Hopkins and Brooklyn Park and helmets from the American Academy of Neurology.
- With Sheldon moving on to other interests, Ana Begej took over as Manager of SPOKES. Andrew is now Shop Manager at SPOKES. Sheldon is hanging around for a year to help with merger bureaucracy, individual fundraising and implementing a comprehensive database to track participants and volunteers.
- The Hub added Sunday hours to the retail store. With that change, SPOKES has moved the volunteer session from Thursday evenings to Sundays from noon to 4 PM.
- SPOKES received a grant from the Hennepin County Green Partners program to continue to promote biking as an alternative to motorized transportation in diverse communities.
- SPOKES started a community ride and skill share once a month for new riders—giving them an opportunity to continue to learn biking skills.
- SPOKES expanded it’s training for volunteers—for people who volunteer during volunteer day, for volunteer mechanics during open shop, for trainers in the Learn to Ride program and for community ride leaders.
- Cycles for Change’s Community Partners Bike Library program moved from it’s warehouse space in Seward to the SPOKES location to reduce costs and improve service to its participants.